Clevearc came about as the result of the determination and initiative of local carers of people with dementia. They conducted a survey, which confirmed their vision of a special facility to care for people with dementia so that
- Services were easily accessible and centralised
- There would be a wider range of services in one location, to reduce confusion for the person with dementia and their carer
- To enable relationships to be built up with staff
- A body of knowledge could be gathered helping to understand the behavioural characteristics of dementia
- Creation of dementia friendly communities where the person with dementia could move about independently within a safe environment
- There would be no stigma attached to dementia
Recently the charity has gone through a major restructure to realign its objectives to be more community driven.